After the game outrage poured in from fellow athletes all over many using the social media site Twitter as an outlet to voice their displeasure. San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture, who grew up near London, posted: “Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened tonight to him in my hometown is awful. No need for this in sports, or life.”
Kevin Weekes a former NHL goalie and broadcaster on Hockey Night In Canada had this to say. “I’m not surprised,” said Weekes. “We have some people that still have their heads in the sand and some people that don’t necessarily want to evolve and aren’t necessarily all that comfortable with the fact that the game is evolving. I understand that firsthand — I’m the first black national broadcaster in NHL history, the first black broadcaster on ‘Hockey Night in Canada.’
The NHL and the city were quick to act with London Mayor Joe Fontana urged the public to give the police any information that might help find the suspect and said he expected a public apology and a ban from the arena the John Labatt Centre. He said whoever threw the banana was an idiot. NHL commishioner was quick to release a statement saying “We have millions of great fans who show tremendous respect for our players and for the game,” he said. “The obviously stupid and ignorant action by one individual is in no way representative of our fans or the people of London, Ontario.”
The suspect being charged after a week of investigating was 26 year old Christopher Moorhouse. Although fairly confident that this was a crime out of discrimination police say it does not fit the profile of a hate crime and all that will happen is that Moorhouse will receive a fine of $2000.
When Simmonds himself was asked about the incident here is what he had to say. "That's a first for me. I guess it's something I obviously have to deal with — being a black player playing in a predominantly white sport. I've grown a lot playing in this league and throughout my whole life. I'm not going to dwell on that. It's over with now. It was unfortunate that this incident happened, but I am above this sort of stuff. This is something that is obviously out of my control. Moving forward, this incident is something that I will no longer comment on so I can just focus playing hockey for the Philadelphia Flyers.”
London Mayor Joe Fontana was quick to point out that this was the act of one mindless individual and it reflects poorly on a city that sees itself as multicultural and accepting of all races.
By :Justin Vaughan
![]() |
| Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds with banana to the right |
![]() |
| Chris Moorhouse Prime Suspect |


No comments:
Post a Comment