Police investigators say that the act did not fit that of a hate crime and instead will be charged with engaging in a prohibited activity on a premises under the trespass to property act. It could only result in a fine of $2000. Moorhouse will also be banned from the John Labbat Centre in London, Ontario. I do not believe that the punishment is enough. Should jail time be involved? Probably not as he didn't physically harm Simmonds but the man should have a bigger fine upwards of $10 000, have to take tolerance classes and be banned from all NHL games as well as the John Labbat Centre.
I think Moorhouse should have to give Simmonds an apology in private and a public apology to anybody who may have been offended by the act. I believe that any crime that invloves discrimination in such a public and humiliating setting should be punished accordingly.
No comments:
Post a Comment